Bloody Thriller Proves Marriage Can Be Murder!
A married couple’s weekend romantic getaway turns disturbingly violent in this nightmarish descent into madness. “Stylish, beautiful and brutal…unsettling and genuinely eerie, certainly a contender for indie horror of the year.” wrote firstscreamtothelast.com.
The English-language The Perfect Husband is coming out on DVD and Blu-ray (and exclusive streaming on Vimeo) July 26, 2016, and then slated to be on most major VOD outlets on October 25th.
- Synopsis: This terrifying psychological horror film follows Viola (Gabriella Wright) and Nicola (Bret Roberts) as they try to reconcile after an unexpected termination of pregnancy puts a strain on their marriage. They decide to spend a weekend in a family cottage in the woods but what was supposed to be a romantic weekend suddenly turns into a deadly nightmare as seething suspicions, maddening paranoia and blind rage explodes around them. A bloody, unsettling thriller from Italian horror filmmaker Lucas Pavetto.
- Bonus features: Il Marito Perfectto (short film) (38 minutes), The Perfect Husband Behind-the-Scenes (24 minutes), Artsploitation trailers
Perfect Husband</a> from <a href=”https://vimeo.com/artsploitation”>artsploitation</a>
; on <a href=”https://vimeo.com”>Vimeo</a>
Psychological Horror Thriller OBSERVANCE to be Released on DVD/Blu-ray
With the dread-infused claustrophobia of Polanski’s The Tenant, the taut voyeurism of Hitchcock’s Rear Window, and the horrific visuals
founds in the works of Cronenberg, Joseph Sims-Dennett’s Observance is one seriously intense thriller. The psychological horror tale involves a private detective who, hired to watch a woman across the street, begins to experience a violent mental breakdown.
The English-language Observance will be released on DVD and Blu-ray (and exclusive streaming on Vimeo) August 2, 2016, and on most major VOD outlets beginning October 11th.
- “Remarkably unnerving…dripping with paranoia and bursts of madness!” — John W. Allman, Blood Violence and Babes
- “Captivates the viewer…with some terrifying moments that would make David Cronenberg proud. — bloody-disgusting.com
- “Sheer ambient dread.” — Indiewire
- “The very definition of psychological horror.” — Thy Critic Man
- Synopsis: Atmospherically creepy and visually unnerving, Joseph Sims-Dennett’s startling feature film debut follows Parker, a young man in the grip of grief following the death of his young son, his marriage on the rocks and nearing bankruptcy, reluctantly returns to work as a private investigator. His assignment it to observe a woman from an abandoned apartment, and as her watches bizarre happenings surrounding her, he slowly becomes aware that the derelict building he is in has a dark presence which slowly threatens to consume him. A frightening horror tale of a man spiraling into madness.
- Bonus features: “Preface to Observance” (3 minutes), Artsploitation trailers
Artsploitation Films Picks Up American Indie Horror
The Anatomy of Monsters
Cannes, May 12, 2016 – Artsploitation Films has announced that is has acquired the North American rights to the edgy and dark American independent film The Anatomy of Monsters directed by Seattle-based filmmaker Byron C. Miller.
The film revolves around a seemingly normal yet homicidal young man who ventures out one night in search for his first kill. At a lonely bar he meets a young woman, takes her to a hotel room and prepares to slash her throat…until he discovers she harbors secrets far worse than even he could imagine.
Ray Murray, President of Artsploitation, called the film, “Refreshingly gritty, the kind of film John Cassavetes would have done if he ventured into genre filmmaking. The storyline is original, the tension palpable and it features a star-making performance by Tabitha Bastien as the far from innocent victim.” He says of the director and co-writer Miller, “Byron ignored the constraints of his limited budget to make a creepy, dark, disturbing and immensely creative thriller.”
Miller, who previously directed the feature Night and is currently attached to direct the genre film,Unwelcome, called his film, “midnight poetry in that attempts to create “the feeling of late night hours and sinister urges,” and commented, “It truly is an honor to work with Artsploitation Films, and be included among their stunning library of titles. Paul Morgan (screenplay, cinematographer), and I put our souls into this film and brought it to life with a beyond dedicated cast and crew. I can’t wait to share this monster with the world!”
Warning: THIS IS NOT THE TYPICAL ARTSPLOITATION HORROR FILM!
We here at Artsploitation Films love international horror and thrillers. It is our cinematic bread and butter. But we also watch and like art films and controversial films. And this is where THE SUMMER HOUSE lies. It is a thoughtful and ultimately devastating psychological thriller about a married man’s sexual obsession with a young boy. Think American Beauty, Lolita, and most of all, Death in Venice.
The storyline definitely makes for uncomfortable viewing. But the acting is exceptional and the film offers a devastating conclusion. An intriguing film for adventurous film-goers not put off by its indelicate theme.
Not for you? Skip it, we have some amazing horror films coming in September!
- Synopsis: The architect and head of the family Markus Larsen secretly lives out his bisexual tendencies while his wife Christine and their 11-year-old daughter Elisabeth drown in unbearable loneliness. When Markus gets to know the 12-year-old son of a colleague, he feels an immediate affection for the boy. Slowly, Markus begins to approach Johannes and creates an intimacy of which he increasingly loses control. While his wife and daughter are damagingly affected by their symbiotic relationship, Johannes is playing his own secret game which, in the end, leads to disaster for every family member.
- Bonus features: Deleted scenes, Cast and crew interviews, Trailers
THE SUMMER HOUSE | Official Trailer | Artsploitation Films from artsploitation on Vimeo.
It was only a weekend camping trip for a troop of innocent cub scouts and their older teen chaparones. What could go wrong? Well, start with a evil psychopathic killer, add his ferel young protoge, have them place some ingenious traps in the woods and the results are kind of violent and bloody. This imaginative fairy tale draws on such influences as Lord of the Rings, Friday the 13thand The Devil’s Backbone as it tells the story of 12-year-old outcast Sam who, along with his fellow cub scouts, are forced to confront unspeakable evil!. A wildly entertaining “killer in the woods” actioner that has been a hit in it festival run.
“Kinetic and brutal, gory and graphic with comedic beats in-between.” – Bloody-Disgusting.com
“A brutal new spin on standard camp horror fare.” – Dread Central
“CUB is a rock solid piece of genre entertainment presented bluntly and without irony.” – Fangoria
- Synopsis: This dark, bloody, imaginative fairy tale about a camping trip that turns into deadly carnage draws on such influences as Lord of the Rings, Friday the 13th and The Devil’s Backbone. The story follows 12-year-old outcast Sam who, along with his troop of cub scouts and their teenage supervisors, camp in woods rumored to house a mysterious and deadly werewolf. Inquisitive Sam, certain the woods are inhibited by something evil, soon stumbles upon a feral young boy and, eventually, his evil psychopathic mentor. But convincing the others of the danger falls on deaf ears, and soon ingenious traps begin to take their violent toll on the group. A wildly entertaining “killer in the woods” actioner.
- Bonus features: Deleted scenes, SFX reel, Short film (Blu-only), Music video (Blu-only), Trailers
CUB | Official Trailer | Artsploitation Films from artsploitation on Vimeo.
Coming on Blu-ray and DVD on August 18, 2015 from Artsploitation Films.
This dark, bloody imaginative fairy tale about a camping trip that turns into deadly carnage draws on such influences as Lord of the Rings, Friday the 13th and The Devil’s Backbone. The story follows 12-year-old outcast Sam who, along with his troop of cub scouts and their teenage supervisors, camp in woods rumored to house a mysterious and deadly werewolf. Inquisitive Sam, certain the woods are inhibited by something evil, soon stumbles upon a feral young boy and, eventually, his evil psychopathic mentor. But convincing the others of the danger falls on deaf ears, and soon ingenious traps begin to take their violent toll on the group. A wildly entertaining “killer in the woods” actioner.